##Ordinary Portland Cement
OPC is a general purpose Portland cement suitable for all uses where the special properties of other types are not required. It is used where cement or concrete is not subject to specific exposures, such as sulfate attack from soil or water, or to an objectionable temperature rise due to heat generated by hydration. Ordinary/Normal Portland cement is one of the most widely used type of Portland Cement. The name Portland cement was given by Joseph Aspdin in 1824 due to its similarity in colour and its quality when it hardens like Portland stone. Portland stone is white grey limestone in island of Portland, Dorset.”
- Initial setting time of OPC is fast.
- It is easy to handle.
- Has high initial strength .
- It cannot be used for mass concreting.
- The durability of concrete made using OPC is less.
- Its resistance to aggressive chemicals is low